Aug 5, 2013

Electro Boogie Encounter Interviews KLP


 This time our interview is with the talented Kristy Lee (A.K.A. KLP). This year she already released an awesome EP by DCUP's label Chookie Music and today her collaboration with Crayon is being released by Yuksek's label Partyfine (don't miss it!). 



  • How everything started ? 
I grew up in a musical family - so music has always been around me.


  • When you first thought about music as a profession?
I don't think it was ever a conscious decision I made, I have wanted to sing and perform as far back as I can remember.


  • In your early works  (like  Space In Between you used Kristy Lee, why did you changed your artistic name to KLP ?
There were a few bands and artists out there who were using Kristy Lee. My friends already called me KP or KLP so it made sense to change it up.


  • In the last years we saw an avalanche of awesome australian music. How do you think the place you live in has influenced in your music? 
I am a dj as well as singer/writer so I am constantly on the hunt for new music from all over the world - and thanks to the internet, it's so easy to get a hold of. So I don't think being in one place or another has effected me personally so much.


  • Which are your biggest influences?
It changes all the time. It can anyone from cutting edge new music to classic old school and then straight pop.


  • How does your creative process work?
I don't have any rules. It can start with a lyric, an idea, a heart break, a victory, a glass of wine, a beat, a loop… seriously every song is a difference process.


  • How do you define your music?
I try not to! 


  • What are your dreams? 
I had some crazy nightmares last night. There must be something heavy going on with the moon. But in summary, I guess deep down to stay happy and true.


  • Your motivation ?
As above, happiness and the process of day to day living. Although I LOVE goals, I also try to enjoy getting to them.


  • What do you use to make your tracks? 
I use Abelton at the moment, but I really want to use Logic again soon. 


  • What is your favourite set-up to make your DJ  sets ?
I use record box to plan my sets


  • Which are your favourite places to play?
As a dj -anywhere that trust's the djs skills enough to let them play the music they want. To many venues try control the music down to exact songs when they really have no idea - it just results in every place/dj playing the same shit. As a singer - right now, anywhere that will have me 


  • What were the weirdest and the funniest things that ever happened on a gig?
No lights (and for a drummer playing a drum pad that is insane) and then the PA cut out. NOT funny at the time. Funny now. 


  • When will you come to Brazil?
I've never been to Brazil - but I would LOOOVE to come visit as soon as possible.


  • You already worked with great artists, what's your dreams collaboration/partnership?
Singing on a Disclosure track, or writing for Rihanna. 


  • How do you feel about the mainstream music industry sexism? Do you think it make harder for a talented (and beautiful) girl like you?
Thank you for the compliment  No, I don't think it's hard - as long as you're actually talented or skilled, then aesthetics are just a bonus. But if the core is right then it doesn't matter.


  • What do you think about the music future ?
I'm loving how new genres are blending together. I'd love to see that happen more and more.


  • You just released a new track on Yuksek's Partyfine records, what's next?
That's actually Le Crayons ep, but I co-wrote and sang on the track "Give You Up". I've just finished a whole bunch of solo KLP demos and I am really feeling them - I hope I can find someone else out there who feels the same way!

No comments:

Latest Posts